Posts Tagged Halloween costume
My daughter wanted to be Princess Twilight Sparkle for Halloween this year. I was determined to make her the costume.
First off, who is Princess Twilight Sparkle? She is the main pony in the latest generation of My Little Pony (called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic). My Little Pony is seriously an awesome show. I do not know which one of us enjoys it more! The theme song is the first song my baby boy ever recognized. She was a unicorn, but in the last episode of the most recent season, she became an alicorn princess. An alicorn is basically a unicorn with wings.
I sewed the dress at my mom`s house using her sewing machine. I am not really one who sews so this is a Big Deal for me. I had my mom on hand for any mishaps. Luckily there were not too many, and they were mostly sewing machine related. I sewed the whole thing myself. I proudly brought the dress home and it was way too small for a fabric with no give. So off to my mom`s house the next weekend to sew a second dress. I did everything but the hem on this dress because I was running out of time and had to go home and make supper.
At home I cut a cutie mark out of felt and used my rudimentary hand sewing skills to attach it to the dress. I also made the yarn wig and tail and sewed the tail on the dress.
The tiara and ears were store-bought. The wings were ones from my daughter`s stash of fairy things.
My daughter was so excited to wear this to daycare today which makes me so happy because it is the first awesome Halloween costume I have made for her! She also believes I can make everything. Last night she decided she wanted me to be Princess Celestia (Twilight Sparkle`s teacher and mentor) and her Daddy to be a crab. She thought I could knit us both these costumes in time for today. I love that she believes I can do everything!
Autumn is finally in the air, for the second time! Here are some of the things I love about autumn:
- corduroy. I will never wear cords in the spring or summer. I break them out in autumn. My preferred cord is a thinner wale word (I just learned that word 3 years ago) in a faded black/dark gray colour. This clutch from MilkandHoneyHandbags on Etsy pretty much says it all…if only it were a skinny pant!
- red leaves. Where I live they are more rare. Most of the trees turn yellow or a depressing brown. I have a lovely clematis on my back fence with all red leaves right now which makes me happy. They are pretty similar to this wonderful photo by RedLeafGallery on Etsy
- warm plaids. I bought a beautiful purple plaid coat 2 autumns ago. It got very cold here very fast so I didn’t get to wear it much. The following fall, I was pregnant. I am excited to finally wear it again! I can’t find any pictures of it online and of course, there are none of me wearing it so use your imagination and then make it 50 times more beautiful and that is my coat!
- cardigans. Being a knitter I love cozy and warm cardigans. This cardigan by knitsbyjessie on Etsy is pretty much my idea of perfection. If you want to get me a Christmas gift, this would be it!
- the smell of winter coming.
- fall food: soups, casseroles, baking, anything that I don’t like to make when I am too hot in the summer!
- making a Halloween costume! I you would consider how I make costumes upcycling because I usually go to value village, buy some random clothes and make a costume from it! This year, I am going to be a werewolf hunter who turned into a zombie. I look forward to seeing all the costumes at the social I am going to!
What do you love about autumn?